Modney Bridge Road (formerly Budds Drove)
The Windmill Inn stood on the east bank of the Ouse at the point where the road bridge crossed the Ouse. Its history seems to date back to the mid 1800s, but this was probably an earlier building at the same location.
Early maps apparently show a windmill at this location in 1826 & 1830.
|1851 - 1858||Porter Barrow|
|1875 - 1883||Elijah Sharman|
|1883 - 1888||John Foreman Howlett|
|1896 - 1904||William Howlett|
|1908 - 1910||John Brundle|
|28/09/1931 - 1936||Horace Haynes|
|Stan and Mo Wright|
|- 1989||Alex and Barbara Flemming|
|1989 - 1992||Lee and Jan Newland|
|until 1998||David Macro|
According to the 1881 census, Elijah's residence is River Bank (Windmill) where he is a beer retailer. He is living with his wife Amelia.
John appears to have married Sarah Pigeon in 15th October 1940. The 1881 census show John is living on Ten Mile Bank, his occupation is a Bridge Toll Collector. So he must have been working for the Hilgay Bridge Company. His marital status is a widower, so presumably Sarah must died sometime before. He appears to have a son named William, aged 9 years.
By 1891 he is now aged 73, still a Toll Collector, but his address has changed from Ten Mile Bank, to River Bank. For some reason the West bank is referred to as 'Ten Mile Bank', whereas the East is referred to as simply 'River Bank'. William now aged 19, is listed as Assistant Toll Collector.
Alice Beaton, Mary Ann Leflays younger sister married William Howlett from Hilgay in 1905, presumably they met when Alice visited Mary Ann. William and Alice lived at the Windmill Public House, Ten Mile Bank, William was a toll collector for the Hilgay Bridge Company. Alice and William had 3 children, Eleanor Isabella 1907, Sylvia 1908 and John Forman 1910.
As well as running the Windmill public house, Horace was a haulage contractor. His telephone number was southery 31. The London Gazette provides evidence that Horace was still here in January 1936.