Station Road / Long Drove
|1851||George Dordery (aged 32)|
|1904||John William Bedford|
|14/01/1918||Sarah Jane Bedford|
|04/01/1937||Arthur Willis Walker|
Situated near the level crossing on Station road, its location may seem a little remote for a public house. But during the mid 1800s it would have been ideally situated for anyone using the newly opened railway station.
It is unclear when this property was built, but it's quite likely it was at a similar time to the station which was opened in 1847. Made from similar yellow bricks to that of other old properties in the village, it is a fairly typical Edwardian design. With a simple rectangular plan and a roof that slopes on all four sides without gable ends.
George Dordery (aged 32) is listed as licensee, but there does not apear to be any record in the 1851 census.
Robert Sucker is listed as licensee.
In 1868 an inquest was held at the Railway Tavern on Saturday 5th September into the death of Sarah Coats a 10 year old girl who drowned in the engine drain. A verdict of accidentally drown was returned by the jury.
Address as 'Long Drove, Railway Tavern' in 1871 census. Residents are Robert Sucker, Farmer & Inn Keeper (head), Mary A Sucker (wife), Leali (daughter), Sarah (daughter), John (son), William (son), Robert (son), Elizer (daughter), Emma (daughter) and Samual Goslin (lodger).
Address as 'Station Drove, Railway Tavern' in 1881 census. Robert and Mary A. are still in residence, along with William, Robert, Eliza and Emma.
Shown on ordnance survey 1st edition.
In 1904 John William Bedford is listed as licensee. On the 1911 census John William Bedford is listed as a publican residing at Ten Mile Bank, with his wife Sarah Jane and four sons.
By 1918 Sarah Jane Bedford, John's wife, is now listed as licensee. John appears to have died in December 1917, so presumably Sarah would have taken over the running of the pub for the next five years.
There is a George Bedford listed on the war memorial, this may be John and Sarah's eldest son.
Eaves Walker is listed at licensee from 8th January 1923.
Arthur Willis Walker is listed as licensee from 4th January 1937.
Arthur and Lily Walker are living here in 1939. Arthur is a smallholder and a coal merchant.
The Railway Tavern appears to have closed its doors to the public sometime during 1965. Two years after the railway station closed, at which point it presumably lost most of its passing trade.